Thursday, December 27, 2007

Single girl in a coupled world




I'm 26 years old and I'm single. I never knew there was anything wrong with this scenario until recently. It seems that people who are in relationships, engaged, or married (as many of my aquaintences are) feel sorry for me because I live in a 1200 sq ft apartment, alone. I like my life. I love my Shih Tzu, Ava. I love my bed, I love my closet (and the diversity of its contents), I love my TV, and I love my upside down Christmas tree. Furthermore, the fact that my Christmas tree is upside down and hot pink and silver, rather than the traditional red and green, should tell you that I am, at the very least, unconventional in every aspect of my life. But, I digress. So, someone please tell me what makes my situation......remember, the fact that I'm 26 and single?.........something to defend. Should I be asking my married friends what the hurry was? Should I be asking my engaged or seriously attached friends what makes them so sure that they will go to bed and wake up loving that one person every day for the rest of their lives? I don't feel the need - I love my friends, each dear to me in his or her own special way, and feel elated at the thought that they have found "it". I don't wonder anymore when I will find it, I've decided to just let it happen it God's perfect timing. So, to those of you who worry about my happiness because I come home only to find a loving, furry, 9.5 pounds of love every evening, don't. This may sound like quite a rant, seeded in defense, to those I've not vented to lately, but let me assure you that this genuinely comes from my pure contentment with where my life is at the moment....and from the fact that I finally feel like my life is truly just beginning. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a date to get ready for.

4 comments:

G.R.8.1. said...

Wait, what you're saying is that you're happy being single? This doesn't make sense. Convential wisdom (disguised as the people who think they know what's best for you, when really what they think is best for you is what they have) says if you're not married before 30, life is a complete failure. And to the women who constantly tell us single people we're "never going to be happy", see if you can get your husbands to admit what they tell me all the time....."dude, I wish I was single and could do what you do". Sure, most women say, "not my husband", let me tell you, of the 10 married couples I know that have been married for more than 3 years, I've heard it from ALL of them! They're usually happy, but they miss those times where they can just pick up and do something w/o having to abide by obligations. Why should single people be punished by the Future Unhappy People of the World (FUPW)? FUPW needs to realize that the majority of single people are single by choice, we have refused to believe that we know what's best for the next 50 years before we're 30, refused to believe that the less than 8 years of being an "adult" has shaped our opinions, beliefs, and desires for the rest of our lives. We've CHOSEN to figure it out along the way, instead of assuming we've figured it out. I gladdly concede the FUPW are smarter than me if they have done those things, but for now, Ryan, let's continue to enjoy the ride. There's no way it can be better than this one!

G.R.8.1. said...

crap, CONVENTIONAL

ashley said...

tell me how this tree works...

clw81 said...

I love it I love it! You go girl! Am I too white too say that??
awesome tree, by the way. how in the world is it standing like that. is this some kind of trick?